A favorite classic honeybun recipe with that famous glaze we all grew up loving.
For the Honey Buns
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup milk
- 1 packet instant yeast
- ⅓ cup butter, melted, cooled
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2-2½ cups vegetable oil, for frying
For The Icing
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
For The Honey Buns
- Using a stand mixer with a dough hook attachment, add flour, sugar and salt.
- Heat milk in a microwave safe bowl for about 30 seconds until milk is 110°.
- Next, add yeast, melted butter, egg and vanilla to warm milk. Whisk ingredients together until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into stand mixer and knead on medium for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides to ensure all ingredients are mixed.
- Grease a large bowl with oil.
- Remove dough and form a ball. Place dough into prepared bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise for about 1½ hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Press down the dough, with clean hands, then transfer to a lightly floured surface.
- Press dough out into a rectangle. about 15 inches long and 8 inches wide.
- Sprinkle dough with cinnamon and spread evenly over the top.
- Start rolling the long side of the dough into a log shape, dip fingers in water and run wet fingers along the edge of the dough, pinching the seam to seal.
- Once sealed, use unscented floss to cut the dough log into 1 inch size buns.
- Place buns on a piece of wax paper and spray the top of the honey buns with a non stick cooking spray and lay a piece of plastic wrap over the top. Let the dough rise for 30 additional minutes leaving a little space between dough slices to allow dough to rise.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, place each bun, a couple at a time, in oil and fry each side until golden brown.
- Remove honey buns from oil and place on paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- While buns are cooling, make the icing.
For The Icing
- In a small bowl, add icing ingredients and mix well until icing becomes smooth.
- Take warm buns and dip the tops into the icing.
- Place iced honey buns on wax or parchment paper and allow icing to harden. Enjoy!
Recipe inspired and adapted from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt