I’m really excited about today’s recipe, which takes the much loved traditional layered strawberry pretzel salad dessert of my childhood and flips it upside down, while shaving two-thirds of the calories and 80% of the fat!
The irresistible combination of creamy, crunchy, salty and sweet makes this fruity no bake dessert salad a winner with everyone who tries it. In addition this satisfying dessert is best made ahead of time for the perfect potluck or party treat.
I made a half batch (6-servings) of the recipe, a manageable amount for my small family. But you can easily double this to feed a larger crowd.
- 1 small (4-serving size) package sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 6 tablespoons low fat cottage cheese
- 6 tablespoons light tub style cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons no calore sweetener (I used Truvia baking blend)
- 3/4 cup light whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons roughly crushed pretzels (about 1/2 ounce0
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the gelatin and 3/4 cup boiling water until the gelatin is dissolved. Add 3/4 cup iced water and stir well. Refrigerate until the mixture begins to thicken, about 30 minutes or so.
- Stir in the strawberries. Pour the mixture into a 1-quart oval or rectangular shaped casserole dish and place in the refrigerator to set up.
- Meanwhile, make the creamy cheese layer: Place the cottage cheese in blender or food processor and process until very smooth. Add the cream cheese and pulse until it is combined with the cottage cheese. Scrape the mixture out into a medium bowl and stir in the sweetener and lemon zest. Then gently fold in the whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate.
- When the gelatin has set, spread with the “cheesecake” mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, top with crushed pretzels so they don’t get soggy.
Servings: 6Serving size: about 3/4 cup