Gozleme – traditional Turkish dish made of a thin, soft pastry dough filled with spinach and cheese. This recipe is very easy to make and no kneading or proofing required.
For the dough:
- 3 cups (375g) Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup (180ml) Milk
- 1/3 cup (80m) water
For the filling:
- Olive oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 400g Spinach
- 300g Feta cheese
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Make the dough: in a large bowl mix flour and salt. Add water, milk and mix until dough is formed. Knead the dough for 4-5 minutes, until smooth and soft. Place the dough in a bowl, cover and allow to rest while making the filling.
- Make the filling: in a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add chopped onion and sate for 5-6 minutes. Add chopped spinach and cook until wilted.
- Transfer the filling into a large bowl, crumble feta cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mex well.
- Make the Gozleme: take the dough and divide it into 6 equal parts and shape each part into a ball.
- Roll out each ball into ball into a thin rectangle. Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling the center of the dough, leave about4cm of space around the edges. Fold the edges over the filling.
- Fry the Gozleme: heat a large skillet or a pan over medium-high heat, place the gozleme on the skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides. Brush each side with a bit of olive oil or melted butter (optional). Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling.
- Serve and enjoy!