Crunchy for the coconut with this coconut cake covered with raspberry jam and topped with a creamy, shredded coconut glaze.
3 cups (297g) sifted cake flour (sift before measuring)
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 pound (450g) powdered sugar
4 egg yolks, well beaten *Beat until well combined, about 1 minute
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract (or coconut extract)
1 cup shredded coconut
4 egg whites, well beaten
HOW TO MAKE IT :
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Spray 2 – 9″ round cake pans with baking spray.
2. Combine the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Sift these ingredients 3 times.
3. In a mixing bowl, cream butter thoroughly; add sugar gradually. Continue creaming until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and beat well. Add flour mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut and vanilla.
4. Fold in egg whites gently until well combined.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Makes two 9-inch layers, or three 8-inch layers. (This recipe used 9″ pans and sliced the layers in half.)
7. Raspberry Preserves (at least 1 cup) *choose a good quality
Frosting Directions :
8. In a saucepan, use a whisk to blend 1 cup milk into 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat, and cook and stir two minutes more. Remove from heat. Cover the surface with plastic wrap. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
9. In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, and extracts until light and fluffy. Add cooled milk mixture to butter mixture a quarter cup at a time, beating on low-speed after each addition until smooth. **Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well afterward. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Add more powdered sugar if necessary to the desired thickness.
10. Slice each layer in half. Spread a thin layer of preserves between the sliced layers*. Alternate preserves and frosting between the layers then frost the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle coconut on top and sides of the frosted cake. Slice and serve!
In the layers where the preserves are placed, a thin layer of coconut can also be added here.
Click on Share to save it on your wall!
how much butter goes in the frosting?
Your frosting directions for coconut raspberry filled cake are lacking some ingredient amounts . How much butter?
I am confused . Where does this recipe list the ingredients and amounts of items for frosting ???
What happened to the Frosting ingredients and amounts???
I used the recipe for Ermine frosting (boiled milk frosting) and cut it in half.
Comments are closed.