The mud pie is a typical Mississippi pie that is not or little known in France. It consists of four layers, each one more decadent than the other: a chocolate cake dough, a chocolate cake, a chocolate pudding and a whipped cream… In short, a dessert more than recommended for chocolate lovers and addicts, but not for those who are on a diet.
1 cup of melted butter (or 1 stick of butter and 1 stick of margarine)
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
4 large eggs (lightly beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
1 (10.5-ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
HOW TO MAKE IT :
- Whisk together melted butter and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
Stir in flour and chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven; top warm cake evenly with marshmallows.
Return to oven, and bake 5 minutes.
- Drizzle Chocolate Frosting (see recipe and instructions below) over warm cake.
TIP: Let these cool completely before cutting into squares!
Chocolate Frosting Recipe & Directions:
1 (16 oz) package powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa
Beat all ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth